GTA's Core meeting - Jan 22nd 2022

GTA's Core meeting - Jan 22nd 2022

  • Note taker: Franco
  • Facilitator: Lina
  • Participants: Angging, Ashish, Gustavo, Lina, Alex, Amy, Upamanyu, Arvin, Franco, Mauricio

1. Check-in and updates

Round of updates!

2. Endorsers update

Round of updates:

  • International Tribunal on Rights of Nature - Ashish has sent the invitation and they need to check with other members of the tribunal before confirming

From previous meetings:

  • Awaiting news from Milk Tea Alliance, Global Diversity Foundation/Global Environments Network - Ashish has sent reminder to them, and expects to get a response soon. For Milk Tea, Annging is following up. Arvin wrote in the chat: “Hi! Regarding MTA, we will update the soonest about their endorsement to the GTAGlobal Tapestry of Alternatives. ”
  • Vasna would like to suggest International League of People's Struggles who are co-hosting the COP26 event. Decide was postponed after COP26. https://ilps.info/en/about-us/. Vasna not here, check with her. Franco will contact Vasna and ask for updates.
  • Decide about Reap Goodness https://www.reapgoodness.org. We will comment on the mailing list. Didn't do so!

3. Internal Seminars 2022

General agreement about the idea of work together to define common criterias about AlternativesAre activities and initiatives, concepts, worldviews, or action proposals by collectives, groups, organizations, communities, or social movements challenging and replacing the dominant system that perpetuates inequality, exploitation, and unsustainabiity. In the GTA we focus primarily on what we call "radical or transformative alternatives", which we define as initiatives that are attempting to break with the dominant system and take paths towards direct and radical forms of political and economic democracy, localised self-reliance, social justice and equity, cultural and knowledge diversity, and ecological resilience. Their locus is neither the State nor the capitalist economy. They are advancing in the process of dismantling most forms of hierarchies, assuming the principles of sufficiency, autonomy, non-violence, justice and equality, solidarity, and the caring of life and the Earth. They do this in an integral way, not limited to a single aspect of life. Although such initiatives may have some kind of link with capitalist markets and the State, they prioritize their autonomy to avoid significant dependency on them and tend to reduce, as much as possible, any relationship with them..

Understand and dialogue about the weavers criteria and defintions

Timing and organizations of the process, two proposals:

  • 1) Franco: dedicate one session per weaver, 3 months until May. In May we would have a first version for our internal use.
  • 2) Ashish: do one commons session to present the 3 weaver's criteria; then a smaller group continue working and get preliminary version. This would allow to have a public version in May for the WSF.
    • Feb: share criterias of CMM and VS. Maybe Feb 11th
    • March: include CMC's criteria and (maybe) SouthEast network input
    • April: have the first version of the document of the criteria
    • May: Public presentation in WSF

We agreed to follow Ashish's proposal.

4. GTA's core gathering

We need to define the venue and start working on the logistics.

  • Main option: Mexico in May 2022 (because of WSF). About the WSF: Would be hybrid, presencial and virtual, first week of May. In Mexico DF.
  • Possible venue: Oaxaca
  • When: 2nd week of May, after the WSF.
  • Number of days: for 4-6 days
  • Number of participants: to be defined, check for interested in the mailing list
  • Next step: Mauricio and Gustavo will send a proposal with plans and estimative costs.

5. Other topics

Coordination and Facilitation team updates

  • Adelante: there was a meeting, starting a process to identify common criteria. Possible WSF activities together.
  • New Newsletter and “magazine style” update. We will rename it as GTA Journal. Consider printing them to circulate it in WSF.

Acervus Project proposal (Gustavo and Franco)

  • Gustavo will send the project document and some concrete ways where GTA could participate

6. Next meeting

Next core meeting: Tuesday 22th February - 3pm